Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Soctaric Seminar Notes

Today's Socratic Seminar Notes

The answer is the beginning, not the end.

  • Learning needs to be customized to the individual
  • Is there such thing as too much or too little structure? -- It's good to have a starting point, but eventually you need to break away. If you have too much structure for too long it may lead to rebellion. Always keep guide lines though. No structure can be just as bad.
  • A key thing to think about is where you want to end up. -- Then think about what it's gonna take and what you need to do to get there. 
  • When it comes to asking questions in class, don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and ask.  Asking the question won't matter in a year, bet getting the answer will.
  • What stops kids from trying? -- the fear of rejection, the fear of failure, and the fear that they won't be socially accepted if they try to go above and beyond what everyone else is doing.


     I think the most important thing to remember is that you're getting an education for you and no one else.  Grades don't have to be your only motivation.  Now that that structure is no longer there, you have to create your own structure. Customize your own learning. :)

     The biggest thing I can do for myself at this point is to just grit my teeth and tackle those things that I'm struggling with.  I'm never going to get a good score if I just tell myself I'll deal with it later.  i am feeling pretty well prepared though :). I just have to remind myself to make the system work for me.

     One of the most important things I can do is remind people that they are in control of their own learning.  Make them think about where they want to be and then focus on the steps it's going to take to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment