Thursday, October 20, 2011

Tools that Change the way We Think

Now a days it seems like I change topics really fast. It's not that I can't concentrate one thing, but I just get bored with only one subject for an extended period of time. I think that this might be a reflection of the way the internet allows you to have 5 different things going on at once. Facebook chat going on, music from iTunes or YouTube, researching information for school on Google, checking your mail, and Skyping with that family member in Texas. Doing one thing and one thing alone just isn't heard of anymore... My priorities have shifted too. Instead of focusing on the long term benefits of getting work done early, I focus on the short term rewards of procrastinating. (Maybe that's why I'm doing this assignment at 9:40) Back in the days when smart phones and internet didn't exist, you had to go about finding information in a much different way. You had to find someone who might know about the topic you had in mind or go to a library and look it up. Now it's only a few clicks away on your computer at home or on your phone in the middle of class. (Because God forbid you should ever have to sit through a class without texting) We want our information. We want it quick and we want it sooner rather than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment