Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Who was Shakespeare?





     "William Shakespeare" (According to Wikipedia) He was an English poet and playwright and thought to be the greatest writer in the English-Language.  Was born in Stratford-upon-Avon and married Anne Hathaway at age 18.  No one knows for sure when he was born but it is assumed to be in early 1564.  There are no school records of him but it is assumed he went to a free school next to his home. He had three children during the course of his marriage but one died at age 11.
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Shakespeare )


     "William Shakespeare" (According to The Literature Network)  He wrote 30+ plays and histories, 154 sonnets, and 5 poems. The website states that he has caused much controversy dealing with the question of whether or not he actually wrote his works or borrowed and added on to other previously published works.
( http://www.online-literature.com/shakespeare/ )


     When I hear the name Shakespeare, I'm filled with this great sense of awe and admiration. I love the idea of Shakespeare and the way that he spoke. But as soon as I sit down to read his plays, I can think of 100 other things I'd rather be doing. I like the idea of Shakespeare and what he writes but I detest having to actually sit down and struggle through his language. 

No comments:

Post a Comment